Tuesday 24 March 2009

Scary

It freaks me out really badly when people take narratives I'm familiar and comfortable with and twist them to make them scary. It's particularly bad when it's fairy tales.
Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, Apples" kept me up half the night, and his "The Problem of Susan" pretty much ruined Narnia for me.

And today, as I sat there, peacefully staring at my TV in that brain-in-standby-mode I find so soothing, I stumbled across this:





Great. Has anybody seen my security blanket?

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you rather say that Narnia was ruined for you, not that you were ruined for Narnia?

    Anyway, the video doesn't freak me out half as much as it does you (apparently). But I don't have that much of a problem with retellings - quite contrary, I find them really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I corrected it.

    The video isn't so much scary as it is disturbing.
    I mean, I know that Humpty Dumpty's fate was sealed anyway, but what happens in the video is just worse, somehow. Poor egg.

    ReplyDelete